Skip to main content

Spousal Work Permits - Canada Immigration

Dear Ms Powell, 
I am a hard-working Jamaican man and my wife sponsored me to stay in Canada. She said I can't leave as I may not be allowed to return, and that could affect the application. I've been here over a year now and I can't work. I help out around the house, but that alone is not enough as my wife used to do two jobs and I can't do one.

My concern is that she is now pregnant and I can't sit around anymore. If I can't work, I may as well go back to Jamaica and work and send back the money for her, so she doesn't have to continue to work so hard. I know her family must be thinking it's not fair to her. Can you help us?

- K.J.

Dear K.J.,
Persons who have already submitted an application for permanent residence under the Spouse and Common Law Partners in Canada Class (SCLPC) can now apply for an open work permit within Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada announced in December 2014 that it will begin issuing open work permits to qualifying spouses and common-law partners before the formal approval of your sponsorship application. You must have the same address as your sponsor and have a valid temporary resident status in Canada.

What is the procedure?

You should complete an Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker. This application may be done online, depending on the stage of your permanent residence application. Otherwise, the application should be mailed to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

You will be required to pay the requisite fee, submit a copy of your passport and provide details of your travels. You will also need to do a medical examination and answer pertinent security questions.

You will also need to state your qualifications and the kind of job that you would be seeking. If you have a job offer, then you should include that information in your application.

The application should be processed within four months and will be valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever is earliest. Therefore, if your passport expires within the next year, I strongly recommend that you take steps to renew it before you submit your application to ensure that you maximise the time granted.

Continue to be a supportive husband, and I wish you and your family the very best here in Canada. Should you have issues or concerns about your application, consult privately with an immigration lawyer for additional information.

Published in the Jamaican Gleaner:  See:  Should I return to Jamaica: http://mobile.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20150120/news/news9.php

Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars. She is a CIC authorized representative. Her areas of practice are immigration, real estate, personal injury, commercial, family, wills and estates in Jamaica and Ontario. Submit your questions and comments via email: info@deidrepowell.com  Subject line: Immigration.  Tel: 613-695-8777. Find her on Facebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada?

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada? : Dear Miss Powell, I used to live in Canada, but I was sent home. My cousin is getting married and I have an invitation to attend the wedding. Can I reapply for a visitor’s visa? What are the chances of my application being successful? Thank you Dear WW, A foreign national who has contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its regulations can be the subject of a removal order from Canada and may need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC), and a Temporary Resident (visitor’s) visa. The success of your application depends on the reason that you were “sent home”, the type of removal order that was issued against you, the length of time that has passed, as well as your current social and economic situation. At the time of your departure from Canada, did you notify the Canadian Border Services Agency? Did they give you a letter confirming your departure? You should have received

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me?

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me? : Dear Miss Powell, I am married to a Canadian citizen. Before we were married, I had my visitor’s visa, so I was going back and forth, and he did the same. That works out good for both of us as we are very busy with our work, plus my husband says he... The immigration officer will not “harass” you because you are now married. However, you should expect to provide explanations about the reason for your visit and whether you are considering living or working in Canada. You should be honest with them as you could be barred from Canada for approximately five years for misrepresentation and have difficulties with future applications.

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal