Skip to main content

I Got HIV from My Canadian Husband


Dear Miss Powell,
I met a Canadian man about three years ago. We fell in love and got married last year November. I have been faithful to him all these years. After we got married, he told me that he has HIV. He has shown no signs or symptoms and neither have I. However, after he told me that he has HIV, I got tested and realise I, too, have HIV. He is now putting together papers to sponsor me and I'm worried that I will be denied the opportunity to join him in Canada as he says a medical will be necessary. I love my husband and I forgive him for not telling me about this. I just want us to be able to live together. Is it possible for persons who are HIV positive to get a visa to Canada? Will this affect the sponsorship application? If it's possible, what steps would I need to take. I am a professional and I have been in excellent health since I was diagnosed.
- Anonymous
Dear Anonymous,
I am sorry to hear that both you and your husband have contracted HIV. However, I do not want either of you to be discouraged as life goes on and there are many persons who have the virus and are able to live successful and happy lives. In fact, Canada has excellent medical and support workers who are trained to help Canadians and their spouses to deal with this issue.
Medical Inadmissibility Rules
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (the Act) does not specifically mention HIV or AIDS. However generally speaking, an applicant may be refused both temporary and permanent visa and deemed 'medically inadmissible' if their condition is:

1. Is likely to be a danger to public health and safety or
2. Might reasonably be expected to cause 'excessive demand on health and social services'.
It is very rare for Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to ask an individual who is applying for a temporary resident visa to do a medical examination as part of the application process.
However, for sponsorship application, study permits, work permits, supervisas and applications under express entry, this is required.
In fact, CIC policy is that "all permanent resident applicants, who are 15 years of age and over, as well as children who have received blood or blood products, who have a known HIV-positive mother, or who are potential adoptees, are required to undergo an HIV test as part of the medical examination."
Exemption For Spousal Sponsorships
Applicants for permanent residence will be required to disclose whether he or she, or any family members listed in the application for permanent residence, "have ever had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder." Arguably, this includes HIV infection. Furthermore, all persons applying for permanent residence in Canada are required to undergo an immigration medical examination (IME), which includes doing an HIV test. A positive result could deem you medically inadmissible.
However, citizens or permanent residents of Canada may sponsor their spouse, including same-sex spouses, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child.
This means that your husband will be able to sponsor you to go to Canada, under the Family Class. Your HIV status will not be a barrier to entering Canada. You are exempt from the excessive demands provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You should both consider living in an area where you will have adequate access to medical and treatment and counselling and support services to assist you both to live happy and productive lives.
If you need advice or assistance with respect to Canada's immigration policies, you should consider a private consultation with a Canadian immigration lawyer. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Published in the Jamaica Gleaner:
http://jamaicagleaner.com/article/news/20150317/immigration-corner-i-got-hiv-my-canadian-husband 
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public, who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, real estate, commercial, personal injury, family and administration of estates. She is on the roster of Mediators for Ottawa, Toronto, and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: info@deidrepowell.com subjectline: immigration, Call 613.695.8777/ 876.922.8899 Facebook: jamaicanlawyer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada?

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada? : Dear Miss Powell, I used to live in Canada, but I was sent home. My cousin is getting married and I have an invitation to attend the wedding. Can I reapply for a visitor’s visa? What are the chances of my application being successful? Thank you Dear WW, A foreign national who has contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its regulations can be the subject of a removal order from Canada and may need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC), and a Temporary Resident (visitor’s) visa. The success of your application depends on the reason that you were “sent home”, the type of removal order that was issued against you, the length of time that has passed, as well as your current social and economic situation. At the time of your departure from Canada, did you notify the Canadian Border Services Agency? Did they give you a letter confirming your departure? You should have received

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me?

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me? : Dear Miss Powell, I am married to a Canadian citizen. Before we were married, I had my visitor’s visa, so I was going back and forth, and he did the same. That works out good for both of us as we are very busy with our work, plus my husband says he... The immigration officer will not “harass” you because you are now married. However, you should expect to provide explanations about the reason for your visit and whether you are considering living or working in Canada. You should be honest with them as you could be barred from Canada for approximately five years for misrepresentation and have difficulties with future applications.

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal