Skip to main content

Thinking about selling everything and moving to Canada ( Express Entry Rounds)

Dear Ms Powell,
I've been thinking about applying under the express entry system to go to Canada, and I have my English exam results and credentials report ready to apply. I am, however, short on funds in my bank account but have an apartment and a car that I could sell, and I would have more than enough money for myself and my family. My concern is that I might sell my apartment and car and then never receive an invitation to apply, leaving my life in a shambles as I'm sure I couldn't replace those things easily. I checked my score and I realise that even though I could get in the pool, I only have 389 points. Can you tell me, based on my points, when I expect to get an invitation to apply?
- YT
 Dear YT,
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) released a report on the express entry system that provided some clarity about the selection process, yet it did not increase our ability to predict when they will select a particular score.
In March, many practitioners and applicants were hopeful that there appeared to be a downward trend in the lowest Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score that was selected only to have their hopes dashed by the wayside in May when the lowest score went back up to 755.
I am really sorry that I do not have a crystal ball, or the ability to see into the future, as I would love to help individuals like you make important life decisions such as the one you described.
What I can glean from the report are the maximum and minimum points held by individuals currently in the pool. You can be comforted that there are even individuals who have fewer than 100 points that are in the pool, and a majority of the applicants seem to score between 350 and 399. Unfortunately, we are still left in the dark about when a selection will be made and the exact score that will be chosen.
The CRS is a points system that gives an individual a particular score based on factors such as age, education, experience, marital status, spouse's credentials, adaptability, and language skills. Individuals are then selected based on the highest-ranking candidates in the pool at the particular time that CIC conducts the draw.
Below is a chart which reveals the trend of selection. What is clear is that there is no predictable pattern, except that most of the individuals who are selected have Canadian work experience or a valid job offer.

Express Entry Rounds


Round
Date of Draw
Lowest CRS/ Points
# Invitations
1
January 31, 2015
886
779
2
February 7, 2015
818
779
3
February 20, 2015
808
849
4
February 27, 2015
735
1187
5
March 20, 2015
481
1620
6
March 27,2015
453
1637
7
April 10, 2015
469
925
8
April 17, 2015
453
715
9
May 22, 2015
755
1361
10
June 12, 2015
482
1501
11
June 26, 2015
469
1575
12
July 10, 2015
463
1516
13
July 17, 2015
451*
1581
14
August 7, 2015
471
1402
15
August 21, 2015
456
1523
16
September 8, 2015
459
1517
*The CRS score of lowest ranked candidate invited has been 451.

You should note that once an individual is admitted into the pool, a score is given and he will be obliged to simply wait on CIC to send an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence. What you could do while waiting is apply for jobs via the job bank, improve on your English results, or even get higher education. You will be allowed to update your profile and improve your score while you are still in the pool.
I, therefore, strongly recommend that you submit your application, get all the necessary proof, and continue living your life. Now is not the time to hesitate. I am sure that you would be very upset if CIC announced that the lowest score was 355 and you had not submitted your application. You do not want to miss an opportunity to be selected.
You should, however, note that CIC has made it clear that unless you are currently authorised to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an authorised Canadian employer, or you have received an ITA under the Canadian Experience Class, you must show that you have the required settlement funds, which is based on the number of persons in your family.
Once you have received an ITA, you will have up to a maximum of 60 days in which to provide proof that you have the required amount of money. Acceptable proof are cash, savings, investments, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, bankers' drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques, or money orders. A letter from your bank or investment company detailing the amounts held on your behalf would be sufficient. The account must be in your name or joint with your spouse. An account with your parents' name would not be acceptable. The letter must be on the bank's letterhead and signed by and authorised agent. An ATM slip will not be sufficient. A copy of the Certificate of Title for your apartment or car will not be acceptable. You will need to provide proof of readily disposable funds. 
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public. Submit your questions and comments to info@deidrepowell.com. Find her on Facebook: jamaicanlawyer.
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20150908/immigration-corner-thinking-selling-everything-and-moving-canada

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada?

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada? : Dear Miss Powell, I used to live in Canada, but I was sent home. My cousin is getting married and I have an invitation to attend the wedding. Can I reapply for a visitor’s visa? What are the chances of my application being successful? Thank you Dear WW, A foreign national who has contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its regulations can be the subject of a removal order from Canada and may need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC), and a Temporary Resident (visitor’s) visa. The success of your application depends on the reason that you were “sent home”, the type of removal order that was issued against you, the length of time that has passed, as well as your current social and economic situation. At the time of your departure from Canada, did you notify the Canadian Border Services Agency? Did they give you a letter confirming your departure? You should have received

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me?

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me? : Dear Miss Powell, I am married to a Canadian citizen. Before we were married, I had my visitor’s visa, so I was going back and forth, and he did the same. That works out good for both of us as we are very busy with our work, plus my husband says he... The immigration officer will not “harass” you because you are now married. However, you should expect to provide explanations about the reason for your visit and whether you are considering living or working in Canada. You should be honest with them as you could be barred from Canada for approximately five years for misrepresentation and have difficulties with future applications.

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal