Skip to main content

Immigration Corner | How Do I Get My Helper To Canada?

Dear Miss Powell,
I am 83 years old and I usually spend winters in Jamaica. I have a helper who works with me when I am there. The doctors do not recommend that I go on any extended trip and I'm in need of some help here in Canada. I do not want to be in a nursing home. I would like my helper in Jamaica to come to Canada to work for me. How can I get my helper here? My neighbour said she sponsored her helper some years ago, but that the rules have changed a bit since then. Is there a way to get my Jamaican helper to come to work for me in Canada?
- L.M.
Dear L.M.,
A Canadian permanent resident or citizen can hire an international worker to assist them in their home in Canada, provided that both the Canadian employer and the international employee can satisfy certain requirements.
Before you can make a job offer, you will first need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the Canadian government. The LMIA will be your authority to hire an international employee. You can get this document from the Employment and Social Development Canada Services. If you qualify, this report will allow you to hire your helper under the Temporary Foreign Worker Programme (TFWP).
Once obtained, you should send a copy of the LMIA, along with a contract of employment, to your helper so that she can apply for a work permit under the TFWP.
Your helper/potential international employee will need to apply for an employer-specific work permit from the Visa Application Centre (VAC) nearest to her in Jamaica. She should submit the required application forms, proof of her education, work experience and other documents to show that she meets the requirement of the job that you are offering her.
A TWO STEP PROCESS
 She should also be careful to show her ties to Jamaica and that she intends to return to Jamaica at the end of her employment contract or on the expiry of her work visa. Examples of documents that she can submit are: proof that she is in a committed relationship; that she has children; tangible assets such as a house, car, bank statements, and any other information to show that she has strong reasons to return to Jamaica when her contract expires.
She will also need to submit her biometrics data, so her fingerprints will be taken at the VAC. She must also pay the required processing fee when submitting the application.
This is essentially a two-step process, so you should consider contacting an immigration lawyer to ensure that both you and your employee do a pre-assessment of your eligibility before even submitting an application to the Canadian immigration authorities. That way, you will be fully aware of all the requirements beforehand and ensure that you can both meet them. This could save you both a lot of time, and money and prevent undue stress.
- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public. Send your questions and comments to info@deidrepowell.com or call 613-695-8777 or 876-922-4092

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada?

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada? : Dear Miss Powell, I used to live in Canada, but I was sent home. My cousin is getting married and I have an invitation to attend the wedding. Can I reapply for a visitor’s visa? What are the chances of my application being successful? Thank you Dear WW, A foreign national who has contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its regulations can be the subject of a removal order from Canada and may need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC), and a Temporary Resident (visitor’s) visa. The success of your application depends on the reason that you were “sent home”, the type of removal order that was issued against you, the length of time that has passed, as well as your current social and economic situation. At the time of your departure from Canada, did you notify the Canadian Border Services Agency? Did they give you a letter confirming your departure? You should have received

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me?

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me? : Dear Miss Powell, I am married to a Canadian citizen. Before we were married, I had my visitor’s visa, so I was going back and forth, and he did the same. That works out good for both of us as we are very busy with our work, plus my husband says he... The immigration officer will not “harass” you because you are now married. However, you should expect to provide explanations about the reason for your visit and whether you are considering living or working in Canada. You should be honest with them as you could be barred from Canada for approximately five years for misrepresentation and have difficulties with future applications.

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal